Luxembourgguidelines.org – How To Make Muscadine Jam. Muscadine grapes are a type of fruit that is large in size and round or oval in shape. Then, this type of fruit has skin that is easily removed from the flesh. Apart from that, the flesh of the fruit is clear green and there are 1 to 5 large seeds in the middle. Apart from that, it tastes very sweet with an appetizing aroma (musky taste) and the skin tastes sour or slightly bitter. Usually, muscadine grapes are processed into jam and juice. This is because it contains antioxidants, starting from flavanols, phenolic acids, stilbenes, and anthocyanins. So, how do you make jam from this type of grape? Come on, see the explanation in the article below.
How To Make Muscadine Jam
The following are the steps that can be taken to make jam from this type of grape, including:
- First, you can prepare the tools and materials you need before the jam-making process. Starting from muscadine grapes (2 kg), granulated sugar (400 grams), lemon juice and enough water.
- Second, wash the muscadine grapes that have been prepared previously. This is done under running water thoroughly. Then, aim to remove dirt and pesticide residue. Once the fruit is clean, you can remove the stem and separate the grapes from the stem.
- Third, you can put the separated muscadine grapes into a large pot. Then, add water and cook using medium heat until the texture becomes soft or runny. After that, stir gently so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Fourth, drain and wait until it cools after the muscadine grapes become soft. Then, filter the wine using a filter cloth to separate the dregs and seeds. Apart from that, you can also use a spoon or spatula to help squeeze the filter. This aims to get maximum juice.
- Fifth, pour the filtered grape juice into a clean pan. Then, add granulated sugar and lemon juice to the grape juice. After that, heat the mixture over medium heat while stirring until the sugar is mixed evenly and thickens.
- Sixth, turn off the heat and wait for the muscadine grape jam to cool after it reaches the desired consistency. Then, put the jam into a sterile container that has been prepared previously. Then, make sure the container is tightly closed and store the jam at cool room temperature (refrigerator).
Tips For Making Jam
There are several tips that can be applied in making jam, including:
- First, choose ripe muscadine grapes with deep skin color, soft texture, sweet taste and stronger aroma.
- Second, make sure to clean the muscadine grapes thoroughly. with running water, remove the stems, and separate the grape stems.
- Third, ensure that the tools used in the jam making process are clean and sterile.
That is an interesting explanation regarding how to make muscadine jam which can be conveyed in the article above. Hopefully after reading the discussion in this article, you can understand it well, use it as an additional reference, increase your knowledge and insight and be able to apply this knowledge in your daily life.